Tuesday, July 21, 2026

 Dead Mine (2012) – Steven Sheil.

A wealthy capitalist, a furtive WWII researcher, and a hardened military outfit find themselves trapped in an apparently derelict Indonesian mine, but instead of unearthing a fabled treasure trove of looted war gold, they discover crazed, subterranean anthropoids, and a terrifying troop of zombie samurai! Undeniably well-made, Dead Mine is no less pointedly derivative, and I think it's absolutely fair to say that without Shockwaves and The Outpost, Dead Mine would run at least 70 minutes shorter. While I was unable to connect with the generic protagonists, I greatly enjoyed the brutal antagonists, being especially appreciative of the righteous-looking mutant Samurai Warriors! Dead Mine falls short of director Steven Sheil's sleazoid Brit-cult classic Mum & Dad, as the stock characters, and prosaic dialogue prove wearisome, yet it isn't entirely without merit. Sadly lacking the inventiveness, and prodigious splatter of Dead Snow, or Army of Frankensteins, this Dead Mine yields precious few nuggets of horror gold.










No comments:

Post a Comment

  Jack Palance's Unknown Powers (1978) – Don Como. The toweringly charismatic Jack Palance introduces, and co-hosts another exploratory...