Death Metal Zombies (1995) – Todd Jason Cook.
The party-heartay lives of a group of amiable suburban metalheads suddenly takes a super sinister turn when Living Corpse fanatic Brad (Bill DeWilde) wins a special tape from his beloved band, and upon excitedly listening to the bespoke track 'zombified', they become malevolently murderous, dead-eyed minions of this evilly metal minion-making death metal outfit. The righteous Death Metal Zombies boisterously remains an entertaining, gore-blasted S.O.V 90s chunkblower that should prove essential to splatter craving, D.I.Y horror-loving extreme metal freaks. The Splatter FX are rudimentary and generously Tomato Ketchupy, while the maniacal minions make-up is rather basic, a thick daubing of Kohl around the boggling eyes, I actually found it strangely effective. While lacking finesse, Death Metal Zombies proved unexpectedly winning, the excitable amateur performances actually add to the no-budget feature's enormous appeal. There are many more explicit metal-inflected S.O.V horror films, I believe Death Metal Zombies is arguably the heaviest, featuring a mind-melting mix of Relapse bands delivering a constant barrage of heavy riffage throughout. I tend to favour heavy metal horrors, and happily the 80s provided a number of choice hair-metalled splatter classics, with the veritable apex of 90s metallic horror being absolute banger Death Metal Zombies. In closing, not only do I heartily approve of the director's energizing choice of music, his decision to have his lively blonde heroine jolly herself about in a pair of snug black short-shorts proved astute.


No comments:
Post a Comment